As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. This does not affect the price you pay or the quality of the products you buy. For more information, please read the full affiliate disclosure here.
You just bought, rented, or have had your Generac generator for a while now, and it’s showing some error code that says you should change the engine oil, or you just want to change it maybe because it has been in the generator for a long time.
Well, since you need to change your 22kw Generac generator oil regularly, here is the problem: you don’t know the type of oil you can use for the generator.
That’s understandable and frustrating, and I assure you that you have come to the right place where you won’t only know the type of oil a 22kw Generac generator uses but also some other important factors like when to change the generator oil and how you can change it.
For a fast answer and not to beat around the bush, Generac manufacturers themselves recommend you can use synthetic 5W-30 oil for your 22kw Generac generator. That’s to say, even if you can’t find Generac oil products, you can go for any oil, but it must be a synthetic 5w-30 oil.
Why did they recommend it? Read until the end of this article.
Why Should You Use Synthetic 5W-30 for a 22Kw Generac Generator?
According to the manufacturer’s recommendations, a 22kw Generac generator should use synthetic 5W-30 oil.
Synthetic oils are preferred and used worldwide due to their superior performance in extreme temperatures, longer lifespan, and better resistance to degradation over time.
Synthetic oil also offers a lot of benefits, including:
- It improved cold weather starting because when you’d use some other oils, it might not start during cold weather, for instance, winter. But for a synthetic 5W-30, it can start at any time you want.
- It increased fuel efficiency. The amount of fuel you will use when using this engine oil won’t be the same as other brands.
- It extends the engine’s life and prevents it from wearing out and tearing out, which is usually caused by the wrong engine oils.
- And lastly, it helps reduce engine deposits.
Additionally, not all engine oils are synthetic, even if they are 5W-30. But to prevent you from buying the wrong type of engine oil for your generator, you can check the prices of the synthetic 5W-30 we recommend you buy on Amazon.
Why Should You Regularly Change the Oil in Your 22kw Generac Generator?
There are many reasons why you should regularly change the oil in your generator. But one of the main reasons is to ensure the generator has a longer lifespan.
And apart from that, it’s to ensure the generator works effectively whenever you need it because when a generator does not have a longer lifespan, there’s no way it can work effectively when you need it.
So, therefore, here are some add-on reasons why you should regularly change the engine oil of your 22kw Generac generator.
- If you don’t change your engine oil regularly, it will build up contaminants in the generator’s engine, which would in turn damage your generator if not addressed in time.
- Secondly, old oil usually loses its lubricating properties, and if you don’t change it before it loses its finish, it can lead to increased friction and wear on the engine.
- And lastly, when you regularly change your generator engine oil, it helps to ensure that the oil is at the appropriate level and viscosity.
So now that you know why it’s important to always change your generator engine oil, let’s also look at how often you should change the oil before we come to the aspect of showing you how to change the oil without the help of a professional.
How Often Should You Change the Oil in Your 22kw Generac Generator?
Generac recommends changing the oil in your 22kw generator every 100 hours of use or at least once per year, whichever comes first. However, if the generator is used in harsh conditions, such as extreme temperatures or dusty environments, more frequent oil changes may be necessary.
Another thing that you should consider is the oil gauge and whether the oil has lost its lubricant. How you can achieve this is that, after a long hour of working, you can open the oil cap to check if the oil is gauged, that is, if it’s at its optimal level.
How to Change the Oil in Your 22kw Generac Generator
Finally, to change the engine oil in your 22kw Generac generator, here are the steps to follow:
- Firstly, turn off the generator and let it cool down.
- Then remove the oil fill cap and the oil drain plug by the side of the engine.
- After that, you drain the oil into a suitable container.
- Then, you replace the oil drain plug.
- After you have replaced the oil drain plug, refill the generator with the recommended amount of oil.
- Check the oil level and add more if necessary.
- Then you replace the oil fill cap.
- Finally, reset and start the generator, and let it run for a few minutes to circulate the oil.
- Then check the oil level again to be sure.
Now that you know the best type of oil for your 22kw Generac generator, go on and buy and replace the engine oil in your generator.
But that’s not the only thing you need to learn to help you replace the oil successfully. There are other things like the oil filter, resetting the generator when done, and many more.
But for a better understanding of the steps outlined in this article, you can read the following articles outlined below:
- How to Reset Generac Generator in 7 Easy Ways
- How to Change the Oil Filter for Generac Generator [Complete Guide]
- How to Choose the Right Oil Filter for Generac Generator
- Generac Generator Cranks But Will Not Start
- Generac Generator Weekly Test Not Working? Here’s the Best Ways to Make it Work