As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. This does not affect the price you pay or the quality of the products you buy. For more information, please read the full affiliate disclosure here.
Generac PWRcell is a solar storage system that allows homeowners to harness the power of the sun and store excess energy in batteries for backup or self-consumption.
However, some PWRcell owners have reported experiencing error 7009, which indicates a problem with the inverter communication.
This error can cause the system to shut down or operate at reduced capacity, affecting the performance and reliability of the system.
In this blog post, we will explain what causes error 7009, how to troubleshoot it, and how to prevent it from happening again.
We will also share some tips on how to optimize and enhance your PWRcell system with the latest updates and upgrades from Generac.
What Causes Generac PWRcell Error 7009?
Error 7009 is a communication error that occurs when the PWRcell inverter cannot communicate with the battery management unit (BMU) or the rapid shutdown device (RSD).
The inverter is the component that converts the direct current (DC) from the solar panels and the batteries into alternating current (AC) that can be used by your home appliances or fed back to the grid.
The BMU is the component that monitors and controls the battery’s state of charge, temperature, voltage, and current.
The RSD is the component that disconnects the solar array from the inverter in case of an emergency or a grid outage.
The communication between these components is essential for the proper functioning of the PWRcell system.
If the communication is interrupted or corrupted, the inverter will display error 7009 on the screen and send an alert to the PWRview app.
Depending on the severity of the error, the system may stop working completely or continue to work at a reduced capacity.
There are several possible causes for error 7009, such as:
- Loose or damaged wiring or connectors between the components
- Faulty or incompatible components
- Power surges or fluctuations
- Extreme heat or moisture conditions
- Software bugs or glitches
RECOMMENDED READ:- How To Fix The Generac Pwrcell Error Code 7000
How do I troubleshoot Generac PWRcell Error 7009?
If you encounter error 7009 on your PWRcell system, the first thing you should do is contact your local system installer or Generac customer support. They will be able to diagnose the problem and provide you with the best solution.
Do not attempt to fix the error yourself, as this may void your warranty or cause further damage to the system.
However, there are some basic steps you can take to troubleshoot error 7009 before contacting your installer or Generac. These steps are:
- Check the wiring and connectors between the inverter, the BMU, and the RSD. Make sure they are tight and secure, and there are no signs of damage or corrosion.
- Check the status of the components on the PWRview app. Make sure they are online and updated to the latest firmware version.
- Perform a system shutdown and restart. Follow the instructions on the PWRview app or the user manual to safely shut down and restart your system. This may clear the error and restore communication between the components.
- If the error persists, record the error code, the date and time of the occurrence, and the serial numbers of the components. Provide this information to your installer or Generac when you contact them.
How to Prevent Generac PWRcell Error 7009?
To prevent error 7009 from happening again, you should follow these tips:
- Keep your system clean and well-maintained. Regularly inspect your system for any signs of dirt, dust, debris, or damage. Clean the solar panels and the components with a soft cloth and mild detergent. Avoid using harsh chemicals or abrasive materials that may damage the system.
- Protect your system from extreme weather conditions. Install your system in a shaded and ventilated area, away from direct sunlight, heat sources, or moisture sources. Use surge protectors or voltage regulators to protect your system from power spikes or fluctuations.
- Update your system to the latest software and hardware versions. Generac is constantly improving and enhancing its products to provide you with the best performance and reliability. To take advantage of these improvements, you should update your system to the latest firmware and software versions. You should also consider upgrading your system to the new SnapRS802, which is the next-generation rapid shutdown device that has been designed and engineered to the highest safety and reliability standards. The SnapRS802 replaces the SnapRS801 or 801A, which have been reported to cause some issues with the PWRcell system. The SnapRS802 has been tested in extreme heat and corrosive moisture conditions with exceptional results, and it exceeds the UL 1741 requirements for reliability and safety.
The Generac PWRcell Error 7009 is a generic communication error that occurs when the inverter cannot communicate with the BMU or the RSD.
This error can have various causes, such as loose or damaged wiring, faulty or incompatible components, power surges or fluctuations, extreme heat or moisture conditions, or software bugs or glitches.
If you experience error 7009 on your PWRcell system, you should contact your local system installer or Generac customer support as soon as possible and not try to fix it yourself.