As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. This does not affect the price you pay or the quality of the products you buy. For more information, please read the full affiliate disclosure here.
If you own a Kohler generator, you may have heard of the RDC2 controller. This is the device that monitors and controls the operation of your generator, as well as the transfer switch that connects it to the utility power. The RDC2 controller is responsible for starting and stopping the generator, displaying information and alerts, and communicating with other devices, such as the OnCue Plus Generator Management System.
The RDC2 controller is designed to be reliable and durable, but like any electronic component, it can fail or malfunction over time. If your RDC2 controller is not working properly, you may experience problems such as:
- The generator does not start or stop automatically.
- The generator does not respond to commands from the OnCue Plus app or the remote control panel.
- The display screen is blank, frozen, or shows error codes.
- The generator runs erratically or produces a low voltage or frequency.
- The transfer switch does not switch between utility and generator power.
If you encounter any of these issues, you should contact an authorized Kohler dealer or service technician to diagnose and repair your RDC2 controller. However, if you are confident and skilled enough, you may be able to replace the RDC2 controller yourself. In this blog post, we will show you how to do it step by step.
Benefits of Replacing Your Kohler RDC2 Controller
There are many benefits to replacing your Kohler RDC2 controller with a new one. Some of them are:
1. Improved performance
A new RDC2 controller can optimize your generator’s output and efficiency, as well as protect it from overloading, overheating, or short-circuiting. It can also adjust the voltage and frequency according to the load demand and the utility power quality.
2. Enhanced reliability
A new RDC2 controller can reduce the risk of your generator failing or malfunctioning due to a faulty or outdated controller. It can also detect and alert you to any issues or errors that may affect your generator’s operation or safety.
3. Extended lifespan
A new RDC2 controller can prolong your generator’s lifespan by preventing unnecessary wear and tear as well as reducing the need for frequent maintenance or repairs.
4. More features and options
A new RDC2 controller can provide you with more features and options for managing your generator remotely through the OnCue Plus app or website. You can monitor your generator’s status, run time, fuel level, power output, and more. You can also control your generator’s start and stop functions, set schedules, view history logs, and receive notifications and updates.
What You Will Need to Replace Your Kohler RDC2 Controller
Before you start, make sure you have the following tools and materials:
- A new RDC2 controller (part number GM92089) (affiliate link)
- A conversion harness (part number GM95104) (Affiliate Link) if you are replacing a green or red controller with a blue one
- A Phillips screwdriver
- A flathead screwdriver
- A wire stripper
- A wire cutter
- A multimeter
- A digital camera or a smartphone (optional)
How to Replace Your Kohler RDC2 Controller
Follow these steps to replace your RDC2 controller:
- Turn off the utility power and the generator circuit breaker. Disconnect the battery cables from the battery terminals. Wait for at least five minutes for the capacitors to discharge.
- Locate the RDC2 controller on your generator. It is usually mounted on the side of the enclosure, behind a metal cover. Remove the screws that secure the cover and open it.
- Take a picture of the wiring connections on the old controller for reference. Alternatively, you can label each wire with a piece of tape and write down its color and terminal number.
- Disconnect all the wires from the old controller. Use a flathead screwdriver to loosen the terminal screws and pull out the wires gently. Do not cut or damage any wires.
- Remove the old controller from the mounting bracket by unscrewing the four screws on each corner.
- Install the new controller on the mounting bracket by aligning the holes and tightening the screws.
- Connect all the wires to the new controller according to the wiring diagram in the owner’s manual. If you are replacing a green or red controller with a blue one, you will need to use the conversion harness to adapt some of the wires. Follow the instructions that come with the harness carefully.
- Close the metal cover and secure it with screws.
- Reconnect the battery cables to the battery terminals. Turn on the generator circuit breaker and the utility power.
- Test your new controller by starting and stopping your generator manually and automatically. Check if all the functions and displays are working correctly. If you have any problems or errors, contact an authorized Kohler dealer or service technician for assistance.
How to Use the OnCue Plus Generator Management System
The OnCue Plus Generator Management System is a web-based application that allows you to monitor and control your Kohler generator from anywhere using your smartphone, tablet, or computer. You can access the OnCue Plus app by downloading it from the App Store or Google Play or by visiting the OnCue Plus website.
To use the OnCue Plus app, you will need to register your Kohler generator and create an account. You will also need to connect your RDC2 controller to the internet using an Ethernet cable or a wireless adapter (sold separately). Once you have done that, you can log in to the OnCue Plus app and enjoy the following features:
- Monitor: You can view your generator’s status, run time, fuel level, power output, and more. You can also see the utility power quality and the transfer switch position.
- Control: You can start and stop your generator manually or automatically. You can also set schedules for your generator to run at certain times or intervals.
- History: You can view your generator’s history logs, which show the date, time, duration, and reason for each start and stop event. You can also export or email the history logs for record-keeping or analysis.
- Notifications: You can receive notifications and updates on your smartphone, tablet, or computer whenever your generator starts, stops, changes status, or encounters an issue or error. You can also customize the notification settings according to your preferences.
- Settings: You can change your account information, password, security questions, and email preferences. You can also update your generator’s firmware, reset your RDC2 controller, or contact customer support.
Replacing your Kohler RDC2 controller is not a difficult task if you have some basic electrical skills and follow these steps carefully. However, if you are not sure about what you are doing, it is better to leave it to a professional who can do it safely and correctly.
A new RDC2 controller can improve your generator’s performance and reliability, as well as extend its lifespan. It can also provide you with more features and options for managing your generator remotely through the OnCue Plus app or website.
If you need a new RDC2 controller for your Kohler generator, you can order it online from Yakima Generator, Amazon (Affiliate Link), or APElectric. They offer free shipping and no sales tax in most states.