As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases. This does not affect the price you pay or the quality of the products you buy. For more information, please read the full affiliate disclosure here.
Are you looking for a new spark plug for your Honda generator, model EU2200i? And you don’t know what type of spark plug to buy?
Don’t worry! There’s great news for you because here at Generator Hacks, we have helped thousands of users find the perfect information they need for their generator, and as long as you are here, we will be glad to help you too. Additionally, you can also subscribe to our newsletter to receive updates on our blog posts.
So, let’s get started.
In generators like the Honda EU2200i, a spark plug is among the most important aspects of a generator set. Without it, there’s no way your generator can function.
But first, what exactly are spark plugs in generators?
Spark plugs are known as the small electrical components that ignite the fuel in the engine, allowing it to run.
They are responsible for creating the spark that starts the combustion process, which powers the generator.
And without a spark plug, your generator will not start or run efficiently.
Therefore, you must use the right spark plug for your Honda EU2200i generator to ensure that it runs smoothly and lasts as long as possible.
However, already, I know you are worried about the best spark plugs for the Honda EU2200i. Hence, in this blog post, we will discuss the different types of spark plugs for generators and what type of spark plug is recommended for the Honda generator EU2200i.
The NGK BPR6HS isn’t just a random spark plug. We recommend the spark plug for your Honda EU2200i generator because the spark plug is designed specifically for the EU2200i generator and it offers the best performance and lifespan.
Different Types of Spark Plugs for Generators
Choosing the right spark plug for your Honda generator entails knowing the different types of spark plugs available on the market for the generator and other engines that use them.
Furthermore, there are at least three (3) different types of spark plugs, and each of them has its own set of advantages and disadvantages, which we will explain better.
The different types of spark plugs available on the market include:
- Copper spark plugs.
- Platinum spark plugs.
- Iridium spark plugs.
Copper Spark Plugs
These types of spark plugs mostly use a copper core for their electrode, where the spark occurs, and they are also not as expensive as other types. If you meet these types on a budget, you would like to go for them, but first, check their pros and cons.
Copper Spark Plugs Pros
- It’s affordable, unlike other plug types.
- It’s widely available and can easily be found at most auto parts stores.
- It is a good conductor of electricity, which means that copper spark plugs can transfer electrical energy efficiently.
Copper Spark Plugs Cons
- It may not be suitable for high-performance engines, as they may not be able to handle the high heat and stress of these engines.
- It has a shorter lifespan than other types of spark plugs and will typically need to be replaced more frequently.
- Lastly, it may require more frequent gap adjustments than other types of spark plugs to ensure proper performance.
Platinum Spark Plugs
Just like copper spark plugs, platinum spark plugs are a type of spark plug that also has a platinum tip on the electrode where the spark occurs. The platinum at this place acts as a conductor, and it does help increase the lifespan of a spark plug.
Platinum Spark Plugs Pros
- They have a longer lifespan compared to traditional copper spark plugs.
- better fuel efficiency.
- It reduced emissions.
- Lastly, it improved the performance of generators.
Platinum Spark Plugs Cons
- Firstly, it had a higher cost compared to copper spark plugs.
- It requires more precise installation.
- And lastly, it may not be compatible with all types of generators.
Iridium Spark Plugs
The last type of plug available on the market is the iridium spark plug. Iridium is a precious metal that is harder and more durable than platinum. It is also a great conductor of heat and electricity. And for these types of plugs, you can find iridium at the tip, where the spark occurs.
Additionally, it is worth noting that iridium spark plugs are more expensive than platinum spark plugs, but they can last longer and are more durable.
They are a great option if you are looking for a high-performance spark plug that will last longer, but they are not a must-have for all generators, and again, it’s best to check the manufacturer’s recommendation before using them.
Recommended Spark Plug for Honda EU2200i
After reading about the various types of generator spark plugs available for generators, here at Generator Hacks, we recommend the NGK (BPR6HS) spark plug for your Honda EU2200i generator because the spark plug is designed specifically for the EU2200i generator and it offers the best performance and lifespan.
Additionally, it is a durable and long-lasting material. This spark plug is six times harder and eight times stronger than any other spark plugs you will find out there, making it the ideal choice for your Honda EU2200i generator.
And as you already know, these types of plugs are usually more expensive than their counterparts, so if you want something that will last longer, they are a great choice.
How to Replace the Spark Plug of Your Honda EU2200i Generator
When it comes to replacing the spark plug on your Honda EU2200i generator, it’s not difficult, and it doesn’t entail you calling a generator repairer or professional. But you must do it safely.
Here are ways you can replace the spark plug of your generator after buying one.
- Firstly, it’s for you to switch off and unplug the generator and let it cool completely.
- Next, locate the spark plug and use a spark plug wrench to remove it. Make sure to remove the spark plug wire connected to the spark plug while you’re doing this.
- Once the old spark plug is removed, insert the new spark plug and tighten it with the spark plug wrench.
- Finally, reattach the spark plug wire and start the generator to make sure it’s running smoothly.
For more information about how you can replace the spark plug of you Honda EU 2200i read DIY Guide: How to Replace Honda EU2200i Spark Plug
Spark plugs play an essential role in the functioning of generators. They create the spark that starts the combustion process, which powers the generator.
So, it’s important to use the right spark plug for your generator to ensure that it runs smoothly and lasts as long as possible.